Monday, March 12, 2012

Golden

Last night we watched Midnight in Paris, which is basically about a man, full of nostalgia for the nineteen twenties, who likes walking in the rain. Which is kinda funny, because I found myself in the exact same place - that is, in the golden era - when I went on my second tour of the Union Depot in the rain today. I'm telling you, at the depot, it is nonstop 1924, and you don't even have to wait until midnight.

New pedestrian plaza out front.


Christos, back in place. Greek food + trains? These are a few of my favorite things.


Digging the half-glass walls - to all trains (behind me). Oh wait, to most trains. LRT is out in front.


Old Western Union counter.


A glass wall will be inserted here to help with air pressure between the different parts of the building.


The golden age is back - the waiting room ceiling.



Skylights have been cleaned - hello, daylight savings! After 5 pm and still tons of natural light.




On the train deck, platforms starting to take shape.


New three-story Amtrak addition.


Access to future platforms.



Inside the Amtrak building, escalators have been installed.


Looking down over the "kiss & ride" drop off and ticketing area.


Looking out onto Lowertown. The bike path on the train deck will run between the glass and that brick wall on this upper level.


New elevator from carriage way to the front door.


Carriage way has been expanded under the front steps of the depot, allowing for drop off.


Out front, the LRT station takes shape.

 
(Thanks, as always, to our wonderful tour guide, Josh!)

10 comments:

  1. There were a couple folks on our tour I didn't know. Now I realize it was probably F. Scott and Zelda. Should have introduced myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! What do you think Scott and Zelda thought of the paint color when they moved back to St. Paul in the twenties?

      Delete
    2. Not entirely sure - perhaps the gold evoked the theme of wealth, which Fitzgerald would have probably found attractive? Just a thought. I'd also observe the Depot's new/old interior color is generally the same color as this blog, and I find the yellow pretty cheery, regardless of this blog's period of significance... :)

      Delete
  2. Great photos. Any place I can sign up for a tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing at the moment seems to be to follow the Union Depot's Facebook page, though the March tours got booked up really quickly.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited! Thanks for the virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's true - it's brand new. They did a great job, huh?

      Delete
  5. I was able to get on a tour last Wednesday. I've added photos to a Flickr set of mine. I didn't get the opportunity to see inside the Amtrak entrance structure, though.

    ReplyDelete